This suite consists of excerpts from the memoirs of a lost bird. Each movement is meant to evoke a feeling associated with a certain time of the bird’s day.
- The first, "wandering" recounts the bird’s exploration (with a nod to Schubert).
- The second, "morning in the park," establishes the bird’s fragile innocence.
- The third, "high noon," imagines the bird frustrated by obstructions (say, the bars of a cage).
- The fourth, "afternoon circles in a gilded cage" describes a sense of “stuck-ness,” and the accompanying longing for freedom.
- The last, "midnight in the city" recalls bright lights and adventure.
This piece is is dedicated to Grace and Jackie